top of page
The site of Greer was originally called the old Blakely Place, a 200-acre farm owned by James Manning Greer. According to tradition, Greer traded a few acres to the railroad in exchange for a wagon and a team of mules.
Since the first post office was in the train station, the postmark read “Greer’s Depot.”
On March 25, 1876, with 15 votes, the town was incorporated as “Greers.” The “s” disappeared some time in the early part of the century.
bottom of page